Monday, January 28, 2008

AT&T, BlackJack Valentine's Day Rap: F-

I'm not even sure that if I could find this commercial online I would post it. Because that would mean I'd have to watch it again. It's basically a guy rapping to camera about his girlfriend, presumably recording it and sending it to her via his cell phone for Valentine's Day. I literally have to change the channel when this comes on, for fear of being consumed by a rabid fury that results in me smashing my television with a pitching wedge. That's bad for the tv and for the wedge, both of which are very special to me.


Let me just say this: if you're thinking of getting your girlfriend a phone with video capabilities for Valentine's Day, good for you. Electronics are awesome. If you're thinking of using your phone to send her new phone a video of you, the whitest man in America, doing the worst rap known to man, please stop and think again.

The worst part is that somewhere along the way this received the approval of a whole team of "advertising professionals." Not only in concept form, but even after they saw the shockingly terrible finished product. Sometimes you need to self censor a bit; someone has to have the stones needed to step up and say you know what, we liked the idea, but you all see this, it sucks. We can't put this on tv. They seem to have forgotten rule number one of advertising: avoid ads that will make the consumer HATE your product. This has done that for me.

Furthermore, I went to the AT&T site to try and find whatever promotion this is (so I'd have some sort of image to accompany this post) and I couldn't find anything. No Valentine's Day promotion at all. So even if this commercial wasn't shotgun-eatingly bad, consumers can't follow up and actually take advantage of the promotion.

F-. The worst.


The Hawk:

Yo, Mouth, why you trippin', home skillet? This is that new hot fire on the streets, playa-toni, pepperoni! Hotter than paprika!

Yes, horrible. Although something deep inside me says there is still a segment of society out there that laughs and likes this. I'll even admit I think the paprika line is funny. D+.

No comments: