Sunday, January 27, 2008

UPS, Whiteboard Campaign



Not everyone likes this campaign. I think most of the dislike comes from not liking the guy who does the drawings. Sure, he's a little smarmy, kind of a douche and has a Richard Lewis haircut, but I don't mind him. Before, I didn't really notice him. I'm mesmerized by his drawings and the way he turns things into other things by adding and erasing lines. The campaign is incredibly recognizable, somewhat entertaining and delivers the UPS message in such a simple manner that even the idiot in charge of your mail room can understand it.

Moreover, it has sparked an avalanche of video spoofs on YouTube. Among them, there are videos covering such subjects as mail order brides, getting rid of the body, monkey sex, and two girls one cup. If imitation in the highest form of flattery, what is parody?

It's almost enough to make me stop thinking of a log of shit when I hear "what can brown do for you?" B+.

The Hawk:
Ruuuuuuuuuuuun! Hide the women and children! LITERALLY. You know why this guy thinks sending a bigger shipment is great? Because he can fit more children in the truck to molest. This guy gives me the creeps. And they include the actual squeaking sounds of the marker? A lot of people HATE that sound -- never a positive in advertising. I guess the "viralness" of it all does have some merit, so I can't flunk it. D+.

No comments: