Thursday, January 3, 2008

Sonic, Two Guys Campaign: A-



What a concept. Put two comedians in a car, give them a food topic and let 'em go. I don't know how scripted these are, but the fact that they come off as natural and improvised is great. The newest one I've seen, "turf and turf" is great--though I can't find it on YouTube. It's for a breakfast sandwich with two pork products (two of either ham, sausage or bacon) and he refers to it as the "turf and turf" because they're both on land. Simple, funny, memorable.

I did, however, take off some points because I wasn't sure Sonics actually existed. I'm not alone when I say I've never seen a Sonic in real life. I did a little research and found that the nearest Sonic is 63 miles from my house. And 135 miles from my parents' house in suburban Detroit. Why am I constantly seeing Sonic ads? Seems like wasted money, to run national ads when your establishment is over 100 miles from the target audience. The only way this makes sense is if there's a plan to open 10,000 Sonics over the next year, some of which are close to the places where I see their commercials. Should that be the case, this instantly becomes the world's greatest teaser campaign. Because if there was a Sonic near me, I'd try it simply because I like the ads.

But there's not; so I won't.



"unsad wet afternoon chunk."

1 comment:

The Hawk said...

I love all of these because they often make me laugh out loud, and like my partner, brought attention to the Sonic brand -- I too knew nothing about them. A+.