Friday, January 25, 2008

Boost Mobile, Anthem 2.0



Sorry, this one just isn't for me. First, what's the point of it? That these guys use Boost Mobile? That's they're successful and therefore are authorities on cool phones? Granted, I'm probably not the target audience, but I like hip-hop. And who is that third person? A man or a woman? What? I don't really like any of the people in this or the song. I officially hate "now I'm at the tippy." D.

The Hawk:
The Mouth needs to recognize and realize on this one. Jermaine Dupri and Young Jeezy are southern Hip-Hop institutions. This ad plays just like a music video, and honestly the beat and lyrics are good enough to rock it as a song, until... whatever that thing at the end is, happens. Mickey Avalon, I guess? Horrid. Cringe-worthy. Ruins the whole commercial. It's a classic case of ad guys not knowing shit about Hip-Hop. The culture has so many applications to advertising, but rarely is it utilized well. From A to D, just like that. Our paths are vastly different, but I to arrive at D for this one.


I guess it was supposed to be the follow up to this one, but with slick effects and supers trying to fill the void between star and song quality:



This I liked, although I wouldn't have been able to tell you which company it was for. They went from Kanye, Luda and Game to Dupri, Jeezy and Avalon? Talk about a drop in quality. At least this one showed the functionality, dudes talking coast to coast in real time, rhyming over a Kanye beat. And the song is actually good. And is that B Davis making an appearance in the background?! Or is it Black Thought...I'm not sure which is better, a commercial I don't like, but remember the company, or a commercial I do like but can't remember who it was for. A-.

The Hawk:
Just to reiterate: Avalon=drop in quality, Dupri and Jeezy do not. Jermaine Dupri is one of the most successful, versatile music men of all-time. With that out of the way... I love this one too. Great song, great stars, fits the Boost brand to a tee... and somehow, maybe subconsciously, I always realized whom this ad was repping. A+.

Update: After re-watching, I realized it was the incessant Boost chirp used throughout the ad that tipped me off to the brand. Nice placement.

No comments: