Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Jack Link's Beef Jerk -- Messin' With Sasquatch

A+. Pure genius! The campaign takes the "Messin' With Sasquatch" theme, and features outdoorsman/pranksters playing classic gags on Sasquatch. A great tag line and concept, with hilarious execution. I love these ads and laugh every time I see them. The only problem is that while I knew they were for beef jerky, I didn't necessarily know which brand, although I may have recognized the bag subconsciously since it is always prominently featured. Either way, I had never heard of Jack's Links before, and now I have, so that counts for something. They want all out, creating a website full of content, placing interactive ads on various websites that allowed you to mess with Sasquatch too, etc. It has become a true viral campaign, notching huge view counts on YouTube and people posting their own versions of the ads. Now, on to the show...



I think this one is my favorite. The guys get Sasquatch and just when they think they're safe... BOOM! You can't outrun Sasquatch! The hit at the end is awesome.

The Mouth: When this campaign first started, they didn't have Sasquatch getting the guys at the end; it left you feeling kind of sad. It's not fair teaming up on an unsuspecting Sasquatch like that. But once he started getting even, these went from average to great.



I had not seen this one before the review. Funny. I love how at the end, all Sasquatch wanted was a ride in the car and he leaves the driver unharmed.

The Mouth: I actually prefer the TV version, where Sasquatch never gets in the car. Once he gets in, he comes across as more beastly and intimidating, where before he was just lovable.



Ah, yes, the old "watch reflection in the eyes" trick. And who knew Sasquatch had such an accurate arm? Baseball? Football? The possibilities are endless.

The Mouth: This is the only reason I wear a watch.



I didn't like this one quite as much... but damn, there's Sasquatch showcasing that arm again!

The Mouth: Starting fires in the forest is not a joke. And watching some guy get hot, wet shit splattered on his face does not make me want to eat beef jerky.



This one is internet-only, probably due a man's arm getting ripped off. The part at the beginning with Sasquatch playing with a butterfly, really makes this one. He's just a kind, peace-loving fella... until you mess with him!

The Mouth: It's less fun when I agree with my associate, but he's pretty accurate here. Watching Sasquatch smash, throw and rip apart humans just makes you feel good. Does it make you eat or buy beef jerky? Not really. Road trips do that. A-.

No comments: