Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Coors Original, Changing: D

It seems Chevy has inspired other advertisers with their "this is our country" mantra. The newest addition to the annoying repetitive, underhandedly racist song and dance troop: Coors Original. In their latest commercial, they have the whitest, ruggedest, "most American" men doing American things while this song plays:

"Changing, yeah, everything's changing.
But I'm through with all this changing.
I like the way I'm living.
And I got my reasons why,
I'm not going to go changing.
I'm not gonna go changing."


If you keep score in the commercial, this is what we're looking at:

White men with five o'clock shadows: 8
Dogs: 2
Asians: 0
Latinos: 0
Black people: 0

Most of me thinks this effort deserves an F. But Coors Original knows its audience and they shoot right for it. I guess you have to respect their straight-forwardness. The point of advertising, after all, is to sell more product, not make friends with all races. In addition, that terrible song somehow burns itself into my brain. I might not go changing either.

Stay tuned for the "this is our country" spectacular.

2 comments:

The Hawk said...

Aw man, I see your "borrowed the tone", and I raise you one. This right down my alley. That music.. the voiceover... makes me feel like a man. Makes me wanna grab a beer. I'm gonna go dig a hole! ARRGGGHHH!!!!

And after all, you have to be a stubborn S.O.B. to drink a beer that tastes like piss-water.

Grade: B

Anonymous said...

Personally, the Coors ad made me laugh. Every guy in it came off as a stuck-in-a-rut loser who works a shitty job then spends every night hanging out in the same bar with their nowhere friends drinking Coors because they're too broke paying for their second divorce to buy the good stuff. Stagnant people are the perfect demographic for the makers of a stagnant beer, I guess.