Thursday, December 20, 2007

D&G, Time: B-

Yes, I am reviewing a Dolce and Gabbana ad.



First, when that robot person at the beginning says "dance music for people who want tomorrow's music today," I pay attention, because I think maybe I want that. But then the alarm music begins, which makes me realize I don't want that.

It must be interesting to work on an account like this. Sitting around, eating mushrooms, trying to think of ways to make people want expensive clothing. Can you imagine going to a client with this as your pitch: So these two people are walking through the city in a hurry...we lead you to believe they're going to meet one another and there's a real urgency. But then at the last second...we reveal they're each meeting themselves! And then they make out with themselves. Girl on girl, guy on guy. Then we just put up your logo and the word "time."

Why? Because D&G is for people who love themselves. That might actually make sense. When I started writing this, I was going to give this spot a D. Then I realized I'm not the target audience and that there might actually be some logic to it. I also noticed that in the background of the spot, other people are making out with themselves. I guess that makes it somehow better.

1 comment:

The Hawk said...

C, I guess. I also don't know enough about the target audience, probably. If this made gay men like the product, it probably deserves a higher grade. I do like the stylistic and musical choices.