Sunday, February 3, 2008

Cars.com -- Glondoor and Shrunken Head





The Mouth:
There's something about this Plan B campaign I like. The branding comes across pretty clear; I walk away knowing that cars.com prepares you for car shopping, so you don't have to use plan b. In the death-match one, I like when he advises the salesman to step outside the circle. And in the shrunken head ad, I laughed at: "Hey Jay, can I take off? I got a tiny head." B+ for both spots.

The Hawk:
I'm in between on these. The first half of both gets the point across and is good for Cars.com. But then the plan b's are out of nowhere craziness. In the Glondoor spot, the guy just says "plan b", not "plan b to make sure you give me what I wanted", like the shrunken head spot -- then it would've made more sense. Also, is it a good or bad thing to use B-level actors in your ads? The customer in Shrunken Head is an actor on the FOX tv series Bones. I never understand why that level of actor would stoop to this level. C-.

No comments: