Friday, February 1, 2008

Optimum Triple Play, Pirate Rap: F and A



Whoa. When I first saw this, I wrote down "Optimum Online Rap, FFFFFF." I was shocked and amazed and repulsed and maybe offended, all at the same time. But now it's approaching "so bad it's good" status. I'm starting to like the rap and the complete and absolute absurdity of the commercial. A band of cable loving pirates? Mermaids singing the phone number? And a special guest appearance by a rapping sea monster!? I hear they originally wanted Fat Joe to star in it, but he wouldn't agree to ride that inflatable banana (or ski rocket, whatever you call it).

One of the best parts of this YouTube video is that you can see who's responsible for this masterpiece. Globalworks. Let me guess, they specialize in marketing to minorities? You can also see the brilliant title of the spot: Reggaeton Beach English Rotoscoped Towels. Exactly what I would have called it. And I think this comment left by a user sums it up perfectly, "My 9 month old daughter LOVES this commercial...her world stops when it comes on..." As does mine.

The savings are for real, the triple play is the deal.

I have to give this an F and an A.

The Hawk:
This is pretty much genius. A Reggaeton beat with some catchy lyrics, along with hot mermaids singing a phone number commercial? This is better than a lot of radio. I'm pretty sure if I saw this a lot it would get beaten into my head. An ad that conveys information about the product! Success. B+.

No comments: