Sunday, February 3, 2008

SoBe Life Water -- Dancing Lizards and Naomi Campbell



The Hawk:
Aren't there already too many advertising lizards? Is Michael Jackson really who you want as the voice of your campaign? And if he isn't controversial enough, why not use a model, Naomi Campbell, that has personally kept a few dozen criminal defense attorneys in business over the years? Is the SoBe name ever actually mentioned in this spot? Why are the lizards better dancers than Campbell?

Although this is mildly entertaining (I like the colors, music and the lizards with grills), I think they could have done a much better job. D.

The Mouth:
Maybe if this was on during Project Runway or America's Next Top Model, but during the Super Bowl? It seemed entirely out of place, which perhaps was the goal, since I remember it. My first instinct was that it was terrbile, and rewatching it hasn't done much to change my mind. However, I disagree with my associate on his disapproval of Michael Jackson. That's old-school Mike and the people love him. I also like the part where the lizard eats the bug--trials of life. C-.

Update -- The Hawk:
I'm starting to develop a weird obsession with this commercial. But before I get to that, let's run down Miss Campbell's legal history (thank you Wikipedia):
--In 2000, she pleaded guilty to a 1998 assault on Georgina Galanis, her then assistant; Campbell had assaulted Galanis with a telephone in a hotel room and threatened to throw her out of a moving car.
--In March 2005, Campbell allegedly slapped assistant Amanda Brack and beat her around the head with a BlackBerry personal organiser.
--Italian actress Yvonne SciĆ² has claimed Campbell left her "covered in blood" after an altercation at a Rome hotel. SciĆ² claimed: "She punched me in the face. She was like Mike Tyson."
--On March 30, 2006 in New York City, Campbell was arrested for allegedly assaulting her housekeeper with a jewel-encrusted mobile phone, resulting in a bloody head that required several stitches
--On October 25, 2006, Campbell was arrested in London on suspicion of assault; she was released on police bail.
--On January 16, 2007, Campbell pleaded guilty to a charge of reckless assault against her maid Ana Scolavino

Have you heard enough? How in the hell does she get an ad deal? "Drink our water. You'll want to beat the shit out of people!" Athletes (think Kobe Bryant following rape charges) are vilified the instant they so much as sniff a court case, almost always losing any endorsement deals. What is so unique about Naomi? This stuff is fairly recent, and I'm not aware of any resurgence/transformation she's undergone. I'm not even sure over half the people who saw this recognized her, so they could have easily used some other hot young thing.

But maybe they saw what I'm beginning to see, as my odd fascination with this ad grows. Once it comes on, I can't turn it off... Do I love to hate it? Is it so bad it's good? It's something... and I can't figure it out. It makes me feel weird. Something about her dancing is not quite right... and I like it? Is she a lizard woman? Either way, since one of the lizards eats a grasshopper, they should've had her beat the hell out of someone with a cellphone!

No comments: