Sunday, February 3, 2008

Coke -- Super Bowl Ads

I'm not familiar with Super Bowl time slot strategy, but it's interesting to note that Coke aired both of it's ads during the 4th Quarter, while Pepsi set things off early.



This is awesome. Coke in that glass bottle -- even a balloon version -- always looks so delicious. And it looks like my cartoon friends agree! I don't even know the names of the first two characters, but I do recognize them. I do know one thing though -- they want that Coke! When old head Charlie Brown triumphantly claims the prize at the end, it's a feel good moment. This was a good implementation, as well, as the balloons look like the real thing. A.

The Mouth:
Coke is all about feeling good. And if this commercial doesn't fill your heart with joy, perhaps it's time to invest in a new heart that has feelings. Parade ballon Stewie vs. parade balloon Underdog for the parade balloon bottle of Coka-Cola Classic until SURPRISE! Parade balloon Charlie Brown! After having the football yanked out from under him so many times, doesn't he deserve an ice cold Coke? This was ranked by many as the top commercial of the Super Bowl, which I'm not sure I'm ready to concede, but it is good. A.



An ok "Odd Couple" type commercial with some sort of funny scenes, playing off the election year. It gets off to a very bad start for me, however, as Bill Frist pretty much single-handedly tried to kill online poker in America. I only have negative thoughts after seeing him. C-.

The Mouth:
Oh, I get it. Democrats and Republicans can get along if they share a Coke. Problem is, I don't really know who either of those guys are (even though they use titles to introduce them at the beginning). And if I don't know, you can bet a large portion of the beer drinking, football loving audience is also at a loss. Just didn't do anything for me. And that bald guy looks like some sort of evil skeleton. After that joyful balloon ad, this one falls flat. D-.

No comments: