Friday, February 1, 2008

Visa, Life Takes Visa: D



These ads, featuring a smoothly moving, expertly choreographed, singing dancing world--which is tragically interrupted by some dunce who dares to carry cash--fail. First, I couldn't remember which company it was for (Mastercard or Visa), so they need to brand it a little better. But more importantly, they're all based on a flawed premise. Cash slows you down? Sure, maybe occasionally you get an old lady counting coins at the market. But more often than that, you get some jackass with his credit card charging his Milky Way bar and Diet Coke. They run the card, print the reciept, get a signature, blah blah blah. Just give the guy a $5 bill and be on your way, jerk. My dad once said, "What kind of a man doesn't carry a little cash?" Some may call him old fashioned. Others call him The Truth.


Still others call him Ken Hitchcock, former coach of the Dallas Stars, Philadelphia Flyers and current coach of the Columbus Blue Jackets (in case you're like the rest of America and haven't heard of them for the last five years, yes, that is an actual NHL hockey team).

I guess they're talking about some sort of faster debit card here, but I'm still not buying it. Be a man. Carry cash. D.

The Hawk:
I agree 100%. To my knowledge, there is no debit card that does not require the user to at least enter your pin number. If it's a new card that does not require that, then they need to get that idea across. And do people care about the brand of credit card they have? I don't. I care about the interest rate, the credit limit, any awards program, etc; I've never understood the Visa vs. Mastercard ad battles. I do find the colors and intricate choreography used in this spot visually pleasing, so that is it's only saving grace. D it is.

No comments: